Friday, March 6, 2009

Watchmen!

If you haven't heard of Watchmen, you don't know what you're missing! Last night, me and a bunch of my friends went and saw the first showing of Watchmen at 12 a.m. early this morning. 

The past week, I finished the graphic novel before seeing the film. I truly was amazed with the whole story, true brilliance!

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series written by Alan Moore with artists Dave Gibbons and John Higgins. The series was published by DC Comics in single issues during 1986 and '87. 

The story is based in the 1980s when the U.S. is edging closer to nuclear war with the Soviet Union and costumed vigilantes have been outlawed and are either retired or working for the government. There are many struggles between the Watchmen characters, including an investigation of one of the original members of the group. There is much more to the story including love blossoming and failing. My favorite character is Dr. Manhattan though Rorschach is second best. I love both of there back stories and you get to see how Rorschach lost it and turned into a vigilante. I also many quotes that Dr. Manhattan says, one being "...light takes so long to reach us... all we ever see of stars are their old photographs."

I finished up the graphic novel during work yesterday and was so excited to see the movie, which is 95% accurate to the novel. The acting is superb and there are parts that are truly emotional and made me cry. I want to read it again! Last night I even stated that I thought it was better than the Dark Knight, which was pretty hard to beat. 

Whether your into graphic novels or just action movies I would recommend seeing Watchmen. If you have time read the novel first, it is highly recommended, there are parts they left out there is only so much you can put into a 2 hr and 40 min movie.
SHARE:

1 comment

bloodmilk. said...

i'm dying to see this! we are all going on monday!
xoxo

Blog Design Created by pipdig