Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Beauty Behind the Walls
















"NEVER LEAVE", this photo turned out quite eerie, I love to take pictures without looking in the view finder, never knowing how things will turn out. I was haunted by the contrast and how desolate the prison really looked.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This past weekend I ventured to Philadelphia with my friend Jessica, many adventures during our day we spent at the Fairmount Ave Flea Market. My side kick and I walked the treasure filled streets that surrounded the Eastern State Penitentiary. I found so many vintage finds, we spilt a popcorn cupcake from this little coffee shop called Mugshot Coffee Shop and took a tour of the prison. I had quite an amazing time, despite almost getting us lost on the way, hooray hoorah for good friends and good times.

The Eastern State Penitentiary was open from 1829-1971, it was the first to establish a policy of solitary confinement and also held such criminals such as bank robber Willies Sutton and the famous Al Capone. It was the largest and most expensive ever constructed and quickly became a model for more than 300 prisons around the world.

I've always wanted to go to the prison for its hauntings and because I love creepy beat down places, so I drug Jess with me and spent a good hour walking the cellblocks. The place was so amazing and some areas were very eerie. I was so happy I brought my camera because there was so much detail to capture and I even got to sit on an old metal frame bed in a cell. I want to go back very soon, for a paranormal ghost hunt and even take some more friends. 

You can find more photos at my FLICKR!
Also you should check out the 360 view of the prison floor plan.




















"PUNISHMENT", the outside of the high stone walls were lined with bright green ivory, moss and a single nail that was pounded into a crack. Just beautiful symbolism I thought.















"VEINS", I found this dead brush growing above the prison walls near famous cell #13. It reminded me of the once living lonely sinful prisoners.























"AT HOME", this was Al Capone's cell, he spent one year the penitentiary years before his mischief got him locked up in Alcatraz. He must of felt right at home due to his lavish cell.
SHARE:

5 comments

Red Ruby Rose said...

Really great photos, I like your comment about loving not looking in the view finder, never knowing how things will turn out.... have you done much pinhole photography? I think it may be right up your street!

bloodmilk. said...

i can't wait to see what you make with your finds.
xo

Moondoonie said...

Al's cell looks better than my bedroom ;-( Woe is me! That's a fabu pic of the cell...among other things!

The Hand Of Fatima Design said...

i really need to go there, it looks very inspirational. leila, do make your own banners? let me know.

Nicomi Nix Turner said...

Haha! Al's cell makes me want to go to jail :) Never thought I would say that.
If only MTV was around back then. "Cribs: Al Capone, yo!"

Blog Design Created by pipdig