Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Seven Sutherland Sisters - World's Longest Hair

Sometime last year I discovered the long hair beauties of the Sutherland Sisters of Lockport, New York. They were world famous due to their fabulous hair, all together a length of 37 feet. The Sutherland children were a musical family and often performed around New York State as the "Sutherland Concert of Seven Sisters and One Brother. In 1882 they traveled with W.W. Coles Colossal Shows and later in 1884 joined Barnum and Bailey's Greatest Show on Earth. I am truly amazed by the patience the sisters must of had, their hair is like a cloak of life. I only dream of having hair that long, I'm in the process of growing it long again, I want it to drape my body like a fare mermaid of the sea. One day perhaps, though I'm sure I will cut it before hand.













From top to bottom:
Sarah Sutherland (1845-1919)
Victoria Sutherland (1849-1902)
Isabella Sutherland (1852-1914)
Grace Sutherland (1854-1946)
Naomi Sutherland (1858-1893)
Dora "Kitty" Sutherland (1858-?)
Mary Sutherland (?-1939)

You can find some more interesting facts and photos at Rapunzel Delight.

Sources:
The Seven Sutherland Sisters With World's Longest Hair. Damn Cool Pics blogspot. Feb 26,2008











SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig